The University of Indianapolis has been a Google school for five years now! UIndyIT reflects on how this technology has positioned the University to work more efficiently.
G Suite for Education has provided us with:
- Much improved reliability
- Unlimited cloud storage
- Dozens of powerful collaborative tools
- Mobile-friendly features and mobile apps
Here are some of UIndyIT’s favorite features to help you make the most of G Suite:
- My Drive & Team Drives – What’s the difference?
- Team Drives is a great alternative for sharing departmental and project-based documentation. Member management is controlled by the Team Drives owners.
Access anywhere/from any device:
- Standalone mobile apps allow you to create, edit, and view documents, spreadsheets, and presentations from your phone or tablet. Find out how.
- Want to find out when everyone can meet? Use the Calendar’s Find a time feature.
- Want to manage scheduling “office hours” more efficiently? Set up Calendar appointment slots.
- Vacation or conference coming up? Use the new “Out of Office” event type to auto decline invites that conflict.
- In a building with limited cellular coverage? Hangouts is a great alternative….and you can receive message notification just like a text!
- Smart Compose in Gmail can fill in common phrases and relevant addresses..
- Want to get rid of those paper post-it notes? Try Keep, and you can access your notes from anywhere!
- You can schedule Tasks in Calendar for convenient reminders.
- Check this out to create a perfectly organized My Drive!
2013 Migration Fun Facts:
- It took Systems Administrators 111 hours for all of the stored emails to move from the Zimbra servers on campus to Google.
- Sixty-one faculty, staff, and students were recruited to serve as “Google Guides.” These early adopters were migrated and trained on Google before go-live and served as a resource for their peers during the migration. We are still very grateful for their enthusiasm and assistance!