Editor’s note: As we launch the all-new Intercom, we’ll be featuring a staff member to highlight every month. For June, we’re introducing you to Mark Vopelak, university archivist at the Institute for Civil Leadership & Mayoral Archives at the Krannert Memorial Library.
Vopelak became the Institute’s Head Archivist & Curator in January 2013. He is responsible for the care and maintenance of all artifacts, including processing, preserving and presenting the mayoral papers, and is working to digitize and create exhibits. He is also available to assist patrons and the public with scholarship and research.
1. Most rewarding part of the job:
Preserving and making available materials that are historically significant.
2. One part of your job people may not know:
It can get really dirty sometimes, depending on the state of the collection.
3. What do you do when youre not working at UIndy?
I enjoy reading a good book and raising my son.
4. What song or movie title would describe your life?
Spirits in the Material World by the Police
5. What would people be surprised to learn about you?
My favorite desert is tiramisu and I have my own secret recipe.