‘Christmas Celebration’ concerts Dec. 5 and 7
A rich tradition of holiday song will be explored Dec. 5 and 7 when the University of Indianapolis Department of Music stages its popular annual Christmas Celebration concerts.
Performances will take place at 7:30 p.m. Friday, Dec. 5, and 4 p.m. Sunday, Dec. 7, in Ruth Lilly Performance Hall of UIndy’s Christel DeHaan Fine Arts Center, 1400 E. Hanna Ave.
The program will feature a range of seasonal religious and secular music, from medieval and Renaissance-era selections to classic European carols and American standards, including “The First Noel,” “Hark! The Herald Angels Sing,” “Sleigh Ride” and “O Holy Night.”
Appearing will be:
- Concert Choir, conducted by Professor Paul Krasnovsky and accompanied by faculty organist Marko Petricic, with student soloists Abigail House, Natalie Covert and Elisabeth Kleinsmith;
- Schola chamber vocal ensemble;
- Women’s Chorus, accompanied by faculty pianist Gregory Martin;
- Symphonic Wind Ensemble, under the direction of Assistant Professor Vu Nguyen;
- Chamber Orchestra, under the direction of Assistant Professor Austin Hartman and featuring faculty mezzo-soprano Mitzi Westra;
- and Handbell Choir, under the direction of instructor Peter Nichols, performing as a 30-minute prelude to the concert.
Admission is free for UIndy students, faculty and staff, $10 for the general public and $6 for seniors and non-UIndy students with ID. Reservations and more information are available at www.uindy.edu/etc or (317) 788-3251.